The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Transitions

I am still not sure if I am here or there, but that seems pretty normal.  The transition from New England back to Old Mexico is as dramatic as it is going the other way.  It takes some adjustments.

So I return to the cool dry air of Oaxaca.  The nights are in the mid 40's.  The days making it to about 80.  My car, completely coated with dust from its stay at the airport, is now nice and clean after a through cleaning by the guy across the road.  I made it the market in Etla and got some quesillo, tortillas, fresh produce and huge perfect avocados.  Sorry, Boston, you never see anything like the real deal on these things.

I returned with some necessities.  Things like parmesan and cheddar cheese, perelite (for starting seeds) and a bunch of stuff for folks.  Between the airlines and their weight limits and TSA, one has to refine one's packing skills.... and get a good scale at home.  Oh, I got an ipad just because when in Rome.....

I returned to find a dog outside my gate and I am talkin' one sorry pup, ribs showing, one back leg damaged, probably hit at some point.  He is good size.  Might have some pit bull or boxer in him somewhere.
Dogs lead a very tough life here.  I have written about it many times.  At any rate, it looks like the neighbors have taken him in so that makes it a neighborhood project.  I put a bowl of water out for him and went a bought a big bag of food.  Those and some TLC should help.  I am such a dog person, that's why I don't have one here after having 17 in my life.  Maybe this a way to have one by sharing.  We will see.
Also, I returned to find that ants had invaded the speaker system in the kitchen.  This is the second time these guys have set up living in something electrical.  Last time it was a computer cooling fan.  How weird is that?  They really make a sticky mess that is hard to clean up.  I confess to going Samuel L. Jackson on them.  And on the wasps that decided to take over the hot water heater.  They were not there when I re-lit it late Thursday night, but had covered the thing by Friday.  Again, WTF?
Oh, speaking of transitions...
More in a bit.

1 comment:

Ayako Turnbull said...

Good for you for helping out that poor dog!! How is he doing now? You are right, dogs in Mexico have a very tough go...I am glad that they've got you to give them some lovin'! Every little bit makes a difference..