The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Before our eyes....

This group of dancers from Teotitlan del Valle has retired after three years.  It is an honor to be one of the dancers and much time, effort and money go into the endeavor.  Plus, they work hard.  The many appearances, the many long days of dancing, the confites, the wind blowing those headdresses.  They looked happy, but tired as they basked in the respect and appreciation of the the entire village when they danced for the last time.

I was lucky to see them many times.  So I thought I would go back through the years and pull up shots for comparison. All of them have gone through changes.  Some gained weight, some of the young boys sprouted up like weeds.  Men grew beards or shaved them off.  Cortez, Carlos Antonio Gutierrez Mendoza, and some of the boys started moustaches... sorta.
   
But what better place to start than with Malinche and Doña Marina, Rosa Angelica Hernandez Mendez and Leticia Martinez Gonzalez.  I think this is the earliest shot I have of them, dancing with Monctezuma.  Look how small they are.
 
An early 2009 shot of Leticia Martinez Gonzalez, Doña Marina.  Actually, the first time I saw her, there was a different Malinche, but then....
.
 Along came Rosa Angelica.
 The shots continue chronologically right through to 2012.
 A different day, a different outfit.
They always danced at the same time, coming from opposite sides and passing in the middle.
And here they are last week.  They've grown before out eyes.
 Each has a longer, more slender body.
 Gracias, Leticia.
 Gracias, Rosa Angelica.
 The final shot in beautiful light from a setting sun.
 I love this shot.  Even thought it was all over, she was still dancing, moving her feet.
Wonderful memories, for all involved, me included.  And Rosa Angelica and Leticia will have those memories forever and each, a pretty nice souvenir, a carved chair.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, mi amigo. The song, "I Hope You Dance" keeps coming to mind. To paraphrase:

I hope they never lose their sense of wonder... never fear those mountains in the distance... and still feel small when they stand beside the ocean...
And when they get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope they dance.

It was such a privilege to watch the grow.

Anonymous said...

These dancers don't retire. They completed the end of their promesa. Teotitlán del Valle is the only community in all of Oaxaca where the dancers make a three year promesa to dance for all of the saints in the village.

La Cubanófila said...

Beautiful chronicle, Chris. I'm glad you've been there to archive this experience for them. I love watching children grow, too. I hope they have access to this when they are all grown up and look back on this very special time of their lives.

sonya melescu said...

Beautiful documentation of the dancers. I also hope they have access to this for their future of past memories.