The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Friday, May 16, 2014

Alone in Atzompa

In an attempt to stay above the fray, the protests, blockades and marches, I headed over to the archaeological site in nearby Atzompa.  Normally, May is the hottest month of the year, but the weather has been beautiful and after the recent rain, there are touches of green showing.  The site is very easy to get to and I was there for some exercise and to take advantage of the incredible views. The government has been restoring the site for a few years and progress has been dramatic. 
There is even a new communal museum..... at which I did not stop, but to which I will return.... at some point.  It being a beautiful day, the place was packed.  I was lucky to find a spot.  This was the parking lot to the right (with my car) and to the left.
It appeared that I was alone there.  Perfect.Well, not entirely alone.  There was this little guy.
Maybe at some point, more people will come. The signs are even in English as well as Spanish.
The views are wonderful.  That is Monte Alban directly across
From the very top you can see in every direction.

How amazing to have this place to myself.  I plan on returning very soon.  It is the perfect constitutional and the altitude makes for just the right bit of a challenge.

2 comments:

Lopez Kilpatrick said...

Thanks for the lovely shots. Years ago we lived near there, and I didn't even know they were excavating. I look forward to visiting when i'm in Oaxaca this summer.

Christopher Stowens said...

Glad you like them. You will not believe how much that area has changed. It is so different. Someday tourists will flock there.