The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Saturday, November 12, 2011

¿Dónde estoy? - Where am I?

Peter the Other is correct.  It is Beautiful Beantown, Boston.  When I arrived the leaves were on the trees.  The next morning, they were falling like rain.  Now the trees are almost bare.  Where is that rake?
While here, I am going to post all the things that take too long to upload in Oaxaca and there is some good stuff, so stay tuned.  It does crack me up that it takes just a sec to upload pics while a mi casa oaxaequeña, it takes minutes.  Great to be here in the Athens of America.  Boston is such a great city.  And simultaneously,  it makes me appreciate Oaxaca all the more.  The best of both worlds... make that, the best of all worlds.

2 comments:

Peter (the other) said...

The "Hub of the Universe" doncha' know (phhttt)! Having just returned from my first visit in a long time (a 40th class reunion), it was hard not to fall back in love with the city of my gloriously wasted 'yuf'. After decades of being based in southern California, my blood has thinned. Now I am a sissy when it comes to the cold of the US northeast. Brrrrrrrrrr....

It is interesting how you experience the expected direction of the technical infrastructure between your ancient and contemporary worlds. My alternate universe in central Paris, admittedly of the first world if the structures are centuries old, delivers internet at a speed and cost that Verizon couldn't dream of here in Los Angeles.

Christopher Stowens said...

Ir may be the Hub of the Universe, but I am the Center of the Universe. I just let everyone else think that they are.

Yes, it is a bit brisk here compared to Oaxaca. My blood is thinning as well and I feel the cold more than before. I always like to come up in mid-winter to get a taste of real cold.

I know that the US is much slower that other parts of the world... uh, of course, I'm talking internet speeds. Oh, to be in Europe or the Far East. Actually, I have gotten quite used to slow speeds. It a fair trade off for everything else.