The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Matter of perspective


I guess it is just how you choose to see things.  Simplicity works for me.  It helps explain the complexities in everything that surround us. 

For instance, with music, I always told my students, they only want you think that it is difficult and hard to understand, but really there are only two tunes you need to understand, "Heart and Soul" and "Louie, Louie."  Most music can be analyzed in relation to those two songs, Bach, Beethoven, Bjork and Bird.  It works and is all pretty basic.

In trying to explain how music is made up simple elements, I would use architecture or the analogy of making bread. 

What are the ingredients of bread?  Water, flour, a little salt, yeast, maybe one or two other ingredients.  Now, imagine that French bakery with all those types of bread.  Of course, it just keeps going from there as there are many, many kinds of bread, the point being there is a simplicity in what goes into all of them.

Or in architecture, look around you, how many shapes can you see in the room or the buildings outside?  Really, I suspect not too many.  A quadrilateral, a triangle, a circle, maybe if you are lucky a rhombus and yes, I know a rectangle or square is really two triangles.  Simple basics, that's how it all works.... for me. 

Now that explains everything, doesn't it?  Where's my Pulitzer?  Lost in the mail again this year?

No comments: