The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Monday, April 11, 2011

Karma


Yes, that is three weeks in a row for me.  After eating another helping of Israel Mendoza's fine costillas or ribs, available only on Sundays at Jacobo Angeles' Azucenas Restaurante on Rte 175 at the entrance to San Martin Tilcajete, we noticed a couple waiting for a bus or cab and asked if they wanted a ride back to the city.  They jumped in and proceeded to tell us that they had spent the day visiting the carvers in the village.  They were ebullient and had dropped a sizable chunk of change buying masks.  They wnet on to say that they had a book with a map of all the carvers and went on to say how helpful it had been. 
"Hmmm," thought I.  "I think I know the guy who wrote that booklet and he is a real jerk," sez I. 
"Well, he did right by us," they said. "The book was invaluable," and they pulled it out to show us.
And yes, it was my little book on "The Carvers of San Martin Tilcajete."  They let out a whoop of surprise and went on about how much they had enjoyed their time in the village because of the book.
So picking up a couple of strangers proved to be rewarding in unimagined ways. 
That is Adrian Xuana in the photo, who sold a few pieces to the couple.  Good karma all around.

No comments: