The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Friday, April 22, 2011

Jueves Santo...cont


The city is packed.  At least it is in el centro, but it is strangely quiet once you get out of that area.  There was very little traffic and I had no problem parking.  The streets were empty, but I was early.  It was about 3 PM, so I just walked the city for the next fours hours.

However, you can see that Alacala, the pedestrian walkway, was very crowded with lots of vendors and tourists.  It looks like most are mexicanos, with some Europeans, but not many gringos.   And some from other regions.

Stalls line the streets, with plenty to take in, like street food

or flowers.

Early in the evening, after "the washing of the feet" ceremonies, comes "la visita a las siete casas," the visit to seven churches.  Bread is purchased, often at the entrance to the church and carried to each church, where it is blessed.

Lots of different varieties.

Some from a bit  closer to the source.

People take the bread to each church and then home to keep it in the hopes that it will insure that there will be enough food throughout the coming year.  It is also given to anyone who is ill as a curative.

I started on my path at a leisurely pace, but then noticed very dark clouds moving in, so my trip to the seven churches sped up considerably.  And here they are.










I think I added an eighth.  The last one was Carmen Alto.

Not the best shot, but these two can attest I was there.

We have had rains the last few days, which is early in the season, but every drop is a blessing.  I was a long way from my car, but made it and the skies opened up with a extra blessing to end the day, Jueves Santo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos again. They always transport me back to Oaxaca.

Which church is yellow? I am imagining it is one that I am very familiar with but never look up to see the yellow.

Joan

Christopher Stowens said...

Gracias. It is Carmen Bajo. The courtyard is small so it was hard to get a shot of the door.