The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Friday, November 19, 2010

Who knew?

It is much colder in Boston than in Oaxaca.

So I thought I would catch one just to be hip.  Yes, my first cold in a few years.  Ah, nature.

Actually, feeling a touch of frost and seeing the sun go down at 5 PM is refreshing.

In reality, the thing I am most struck by this time is the fact that this is such a consumer society.  Stuff and things, it is all out there, a whole lotta, "I want it. I need it. Buy, buy, buy"

Living in Oaxaca, has allowed me to lose the urge or desire to play that game.  First of all, the stuff is simply not available and/or is very expensive.  Secondly, the mentality is not there... yet.  Money goes for the basics.  Actually, now that I think about, Christmas stuff was on display at all the stores before I left.

Oops.... Gotta go... off to the mall.  Only seven days until Black Friday.

Update:  I made it unscathed through Best Buy and Target.  I did go to the Armenian market in Watertown for tahini, lebne and other goodies.  Also, the Indian market in Waltham for rice and more goodies, but it sure ain't Etla.

3 comments:

Joan said...

You have brought up before that you travel back and forth from Oaxaca to "El Norte". I am curious about this because someday I hope to have long-term housing in Oaxaca and don't know how I will be able to cut ties with Chicago. How many times a year do you go back and forth? How long do you stay in either place?

This may be the solution to my dilemma. I have always been under the impression that people stay in Oaxaca unless they absolutely have to travel back to the US.

I hope that my questions are not too nosy. Thanks.

Christopher Stowens said...

Hmm... let's see... if I had a good and decent renter for my house up here, things would be better, but I don't. The house is over 100 years old and like all houses, has it idiosyncrasies, so I have to stay on top of them. My rent in Oaxaca is cheap compared to the States so I am trying this for a while. And one other thing, I am crazy and stupid at times.... see that was two things. That is how dumb I can be.

I am trying to take advantage of the best of both worlds, different cultures and very different perspectives, which I think is healthy, at least it is for me.

When the market changes both here and there, I will reassess, but for now, this is good. I come back every three months for a couple of weeks. Next is mid-Feb to experience real winter.

Joan said...

Thanks. I am always interested in how people handle living in Mexico. I guess many cut all their ties to the US and settle in except for the odd trip back.

Your method appeals to me but the airfare to Oaxaca isn't cheap. And with Mexicana out of the picture, choices are slim.