The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Thursday, December 12, 2013

World Politicians Confab in Etla

Oops, my mistake... it was the annual meeting of Payasos Unidos Por Oaxaca(PUPO) a real bunch of clowns in my opinion.
Yes, just in front of my market in nearby Etla, the clown cars arrived and out of them came a wonderful collection of characters.
Wonderful makeup and faces.
Clowns have a different role or status here in Mexico.  Maybe it is kinda like wrestlers, but they occupy a special niche in the social fabric.  And they are everywhere.
Because it was in Etla, it was a more intimate event than in the city last year.
At times, there seemed to be more clowns than spectators.  Just checking with my broker.
A good time was had by all.
 I love this kid and his Working Class Hero shirt.  Like several of the others, there seems to be a sweet and very shy person beneath the makeup.
There was a fine selection of clown accessories and outfits for sale.  I Love Nerds!
I was tempted, but passed on these fine shoes even though they were my size.
As I said, payasos have a special place in Mexican culture and it was re-enforced by the fact that many of them were driving tricked out hot cars
And had equally hot wives.
It was great to see people overtly being clowns rather than the clowns who we see every day, but try to hide it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely!!!

Bev in Connecticut said...

What a fabulous event!!!!!
I want a pair of those shoes! How could you resist?
Another must attend event on my ever growing bucket list!