The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Noche del Rabanos - 116 years and still going strong

It may have been taking place for over a century, but change is a part of La Noche del Rabanos.  Each year, it seems the crowds are bigger and the barriers push the crowds further back.  There used to be no barriers and one could get up close and personal with the artesanos as they assembled their remarkable pieces.  Now, even with a press pass it is hard to get near the action.... but of course, I did.
There is a very narrow pocket of time in the morning to get one's shots even though the crowds were already large.  Still, the creativity is amazing and the people displaying theirs are the best part of the event.
It was very nice to see people I see every year and to have them recognize me.
My favorite abuela from San Anonino was not there as she had hurt her leg.  I bet she has not missed this in over fifty years.  She sent greetings to me through this woman from her village.  I have my annual gift for her, a nice rebozo, that I will have to get to her somehow.  Meanwhile, on with the show.
This magnificent piece by Adrián Flores Peña won first place in the free rabanos competition.
I am pretty sure this won first place in the natural totomoxtle (corn husk) contest.  A magnificent vision of a municipal center.
Looks like Benito Juarz giving a speech from a decorated podium.
The details are always a blast.  "Wanna buy my turkey?"
Or some chapulines?
Look at the delicate details on this tiny part of a larger work.
Again, such fine attention to detail.
These pieces often take from three to six months to make.  You can see why.
Christ and Zapata together once again.
An amazing radish face.
Another in colored corn husks.
There was a wonderful depiction of the tree in El Tule that deserves a post of its own and I will do that shortly.

1 comment:

sanfelipecampground said...

Thanks for taking all the fabulous pictures that we could not!