The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pinotepa's Afro-Mexican connection

 
One of the most interesting parts of the trip to Pinotepa Nacional, and one that lingers in my mind and makes me wonder, is the dance tradition from the Costa Chica.  I can't stop thinking about these guys.  In fact, I went back this time to try and get a better grip on the whole thing, because the first time I saw them was quite memorable as you can see from this video at about the 5:00 mark.

So they have this fun, yet abusive style of dance with lots of kicking and punching.  The first time, I got hit in the family jewels much to everyone's amusement, including mine, although I confess to wondering wtf was happening.
So I was leery this time, but still managed to get attacked, all in a friendly way.
 I did not escape unscathed, but much better than the first time.  I guess I make a good target.
Seeing their masks really freaked me out.  Mainly because, one of the most influential films I ever watched and used as a teaching tool is Spike Lee's "Bamboozled."  It can be a movie that changes everything you ever thought.  It was for me.  So seeing these masks, so reminiscent of minstrel days, really made me wonder what was going on.  I realize that I am coming with a completely alien cultural perspective that I can't impose on a different culture, but still.....
So I did a little research about black history in Mexico and like all things mexicano, it is very interesting.  For instance: emphasis added.
Slave rebellions occurred in Mexico as in other parts of the Americas, with the first in Veracruz in 1537. Runaway slaves were called cimarrones, who mostly fled to the highlands between Veracruz and Puebla with a number making their way to the Costa Chica region in what are now Guerrero and Oaxaca .[7][10] Runaways in Veracruz formed settlements called “palenques” which would fight off Spanish authorities. The most famous of these was led by Gaspar Yanga, who fought the Spanish for forty years until the Spanish recognized their autonomy in 1608, making San Lorenzo de los Negros (today Yanga) the first community of free blacks in the Americas.
You will recall my adventure driving to Corralero?  Well, it turns out to be one of the “pueblos negros” or black towns in the region.

I encourage you to go to the link to read a bit about the history.  It really fills in some blanks, makes connections and helps bring Mexico's very long history better into perspective.

No comments: