The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Flyin' Tamales

I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out.
Well, sorta.... I went to the tamaliza, the distribution of free tamales, in celebration of candelaria.  They had 30,000 to pass out to the crowds in front of the cathedral.  I mentioned in yesterday's post that there were blockades on the streets surrounding the zocalo and some of the protesters were responsible for what transpired. There were police everywhere.
 
I spoke to one officer and asked him what was up, but he demurred and said they were there for the tamaliza.  In full riot gear?
Apparently, there was another group that wanted to give out tamales, but did not have the right permits.  I am sure there is much more to the story.  Here are a couple of articles from the morning papers.  When it comes to local politics, I know almost nothing.
However, it was an exciting time when the group tried to bring their baskets of tamales onto the Almeda to the tables that had been set up.  The police blocked their entrance. 

There was lots of shouting and finger pointing.  Eventually, one of the baskets got overturned and then the tamales started getting thrown. 
Food fight!
More shoving and fingerpointing,
but then the group set up a table in front of the police line and began distributing the tamales. 
At the same time, the "official" tamaliza proceeded without incident.
Plenty for everyone.
 The aftermath
Throughout random craziness, some people can look and stay cool.
 Me, too.  I stayed cool.  The dude abides.

1 comment:

Teacher Güero said...

Hahahahaha...that's awesome! Only in Oaxaca!! Thanks for sharing!