The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tourism? - meh

It's International Tourism Day.  Who knew?

Here's an interesting story from Noticiasmex about the state of tourism in the state.  It certainly seems to indicate that there is an inter-connectivity between most all people, things and activities.  The economic slowdown in Europe effects Oaxaca.  The constant media drumbeat about violence in Mexico effects Oaxaca.  The current political attitudes in El Norte effect Oaxaca.  The cartels effect Oaxaca.  The internal economic problems, poverty, the failure to resolve indigenous conflicts, the disaster that the previous administration inflicted on the state, the lack of a convention center, the lack of an aggressive tourism campaign, the lack of flights, the lack of roads..... it is a long litany and all effect Oaxaca.  And probably effect you, too.

The story is filled with interesting statistics, like the number of hotel rooms, restaurants, and discos.  Or the number of people involved in tourism. Or that only 4% of the 100,000 people that attended the recent guelaguetza were not mexicanos, only 4000 international visitors!

Oaxaca needs touri$m to recover and it needs to recover in order to draw tourists. 
Poco a poco, ojala.

2 comments:

Peter (the other) said...

Although it has been almost ten years since my visit to Oaxaca, it resonates in my imagination. From Monte Alban and Mitla, to the various market towns, whether shopping for carpets and pottery or enjoying the most special cuisine, it was a rich and full experience. That it should have a problem attracting visitors is beyond me.

You are certainly doing your part, I know several who are starting to get an itch since finding your blog. Keep it up! I look forward to when I shall be able to return.

Christopher Stowens said...

Gracias, Peter, I sure hope people return to Oaxaca and that newbies come and see what a magical and deep place this is. I myself could go for some good diner food in... hmmmm... how about Paris?

When you read this, post a link to your place.