The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I know you're in there

Hey Chris, I know you're in there.  Why no postings on the blog?

Well, I've been busy.  Tomorrow is the big day.  I have the Oaxacan Garden Club coming to the house for a talk and demo on composting and mulching.  They are expecting a good turnout and I am ready, but with all the rain... I hope they bring waders, because there is still standing water in places.  Normally, the gardens would be looking amazing, but it has been too wet.  Many of the flowers are large and hold water in their petals, but the weight of the water has done a number on them.  But that is the nature of gardening.

I did, however, prep for this talk last week and set aside dry compost for folks to see.  I know that compost may not be the most riveting subject to many, but it is one of the keys to healthy soil and plants. I have been working on this since I came here, bought a wood chipper, a lawn mower just to get the clippings and I have to say, this compost is the best I have ever seen.  The trick was to dry out the finished compost and to run it through the chipper. 

Worth its weight in gold. Guaranteed to blow their minds.

Actually, after living and gardening in so many different places, I am always amazed at what people do and don't do.  In Newton, MA, the city collects all yard waste and has a huge municipal compost pile that city residents can go and use.  In the Virgin Islands, they save every drop of rain.  Here, they do neither, but obviously, they do many things right as is evidenced by all the gorgeous produce.  Put them all together and you've really got something.

2 comments:

Bev Schmidt said...

We just started composting. With our town's more complete recycling program and our composting we have very little in our trash can. Can't wait to see our compost in the spring-I know our extensive flower gardens will be happy!
Bev Schmidt
Connecticut

Anonymous said...

Please post some photos of your demo with the wood chipper, I would be very interested to see that. Oaxacans could do a lot with good knowledge of compost.

Some of the people who live in the barrios and the poorer areas of Oaxaca collect rainwater that runs off their roof ends, they use it to drink, wash with, do laundry, and also to water the few plants they have. If they composted a little around those plants they might easily grow better food.

I hope your demonstration is well attended!