The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Friday, April 27, 2018

Food, Glorious Food - Day 3

It was back to the Plaza de la Danza for more from the fabulous cooks at the Encuentro de Cocineras Tradicionales de Oaxaca.  It's impossible to sample more than one or two dishes and there are so many to choose from, over 300! ... Like this wonderful Pozole Triqui, which I watched these ladies assemble.
First the pozole, which is like hominy, was shaped into a cup,
Into which the beef was placed and finally filled with what looked like mole amarillo.
Of course, I was already too full to get the pozole after finally getting these higaditos, an egg and chicken dish.  I missed them the first two days.
Like almost all these dishes, there is a different recipe in every house, all a bit different.  These were sublime.  I loved them.
Or how about the happy guy's torta or sandwich.
I just had to stop him and take a pic.
And there was this most interesting and unique dish, yucca balls in a frijol sauce and nothing else.  So simple, yet absolutely delicious.
Because I was already full,  I stopped people to ask if I could take a shot of their food.  "Claro que si."
It all looked so good.
Makes you hungry, doesn't it?  Well, I'm back tomorrow for the last day to drink (and eat) it all in.  Plus I've gotta see more of the Mendoza sisters from Teotitlan del Valle. 
Look at how happy they are!  We love them!

No comments: