The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Guelaguetza in Etla - Just one dance

The more times I experience and see the dances of the guelaguetza, the more I appreciate them.  To hear familiar music and see familiar steps and moves, well, it just gets better and better.  If you can believe it, I am always moved to tears when I see and hear the Flor de Piña dancers.  It is that powerful.  Each dance really deserves a post of its own, but I will go with one of my absolute favorites, along with everyone else, the Jarabe Mixteco.  Here are the dancers from Monday's performance in Etla.
 You can see the entire outfit is designed to flow, to swirl.  The skirt and ribbons are magical.
 It begins.
This dancer was wonderful, high flying.  Normally, the woman draws everyone's eyes, but this guy was great.
 Float like a butterfly
 You can see the beauty of all those ribbons and colors.
It's some sweet courting dance, with flirting and teasing, lots of give and take.
 Eventually, he reaches out to take the flower from her mouth.....
 And it is done.....
And that is just one dance.  There were close to twenty more!

No comments: