The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Shirt shots cont.....

I love taking photos of people's shirts  I bet I have hundreds of them by now in a series called, "Do you know what you shirt says?"
 My last clean shirt and proud of it.
Hipster in the know.... Vinyl Rules.
I feel like I only get one out of ten good ones.  People walk by and if I can't get it together to ask, "Hey, can I take you picture for your shirt?"  they are gone and I am kicking myself for missing the opportunity.  It is actually a fun exercise and everyone always agrees... always.  It's crazy.  But not as crazy as some of the shirts.  These from the last couple of days.
A guapo from Tlacolula.  Santa Muerte looks serious.  I like the red eyes and the stud in his ear.
I should have shot this one from the side.  The young lady is very pregnant and the eyes and smile were perfectly placed.
I don't think I could pull this one off as well as she does.  Very cute, but I need those glowing red eyes.
And what does this one even mean. Sure, Mondays ruined his life. Good thing he has two extra hearts (r) ????

2 comments:

Louise Ducote said...

What a wonderful running theme! It's not easy to stop people and ask if they'd mind posing for a picture, but I'm always glad when I make myself do it. I once read that Walker Evans had a camera that appeared to shoot from the front while actually shooting out the side, so he could aim it in one direction while taking a photo of someone to his right. . .it sounds invasive, I realize, but he used it to get beautiful shots of people riding the NYC subways.

Christopher Stowens said...

Gracias, it is a really fun continuing project. And as I say, it gets easier and easier to ask people for the shots.

I know about that lens and I think you can still get something like it, but I simply shoot from the hip, which is always a crap shoot, but with practice, you can get some nice shots.