The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Monday, June 16, 2014

Look though any window

 
Finally a beautiful day in which I don't have much to do except enjoy Boston.  I ran errands and then ran for the commuter train and I mean, ran, because it was just pulling in when I hit the top of the stairs and I still had a couple of hundred meters to go.  As I ran, unbeknownst to me, my apple shuffle came off and fell somewhere onto the track bed.  I noticed it as soon as I was on the train, but it was too late.   Bummer. 
However, I get to Copley and jump off and head into the city for a quick bite at my favorite dim sum place, The China Pearl. 
It is a beautiful day and the city is packed with lots of tourists, but boy, they sure look different from  Oaxacan tourists.  It is probably a couple of miles to Chinatown and one goes through a lot of Beantown getting there:  Copley, Boylston Street, The Public Gardens, The Boston Common, Downtown Crossing, the financial district and finally Chinatown.
The whole time, I bummin about the shuffle and wondering if maybe, somehow, it might still be there and I can find it.  After all, it is only a little tiny shiny glittering perfect square.  Who could notice it?
So I plot a strategy. There are no commuter trains coming or going in the interim, so maybe, it actually might be there.  If I can be first off the train....  no, better yet, I can take the green line to Riverside and get there before the commuter train arrives if I am lucky.   Which is what I do and hustle up the hill from the T station and then across the bridge and down the stairs to the commuter stop.  I look everywhere, but it's a fool's errand.  Someone must have found it.  I am bummed, but it would have been a miracle....

There was only person in sight, a young man in his 20's, with tats, long shorts, hat down low, you know the look.  He was going the other way and I paid no attention to him.  While I was looking along the tracks, he headed up the long flight of stairs and was gone.  I give up and head home.   Bummer.

But as I reached the top of the stairs, he is there and says, "I saw you were looking for something.  Was it this?" and he holds up my shuffle, which he immediately hands to me.  We slapped hands and hit fists, the same handshake as Oaxaca, and I thanked him profusely.  As he walked away, I called after him,  "That was a very cool thing to do."  He just waved. 

Human beings, gotta love 'em.  "I have been released..."

4 comments:

Blondie said...

Great post! great photos!

Gypsy goat girl! said...

Soon I am going to try your dim sum place! Looks very good!

Anonymous said...

Fabulously written!

Joan

Christopher Stowens said...

Gracias!