The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Bouncing back

I recently wrote about bouncing back and forth between the two cultures of Oaxaca and Boston and how enjoyable it is, albeit somewhat jarring at times.  This time, this return to Oaxaca, has been sweet.  While I was in Boston, there must have been tons of rain, because not only have all the plants exploded with greenery, but my 15,000 liter cistern is almost full.  That's a lot of rain.  The weeds have grown over 1.5 meters in just three weeks and are threatening to take over the lot I planted over the dry season.  However, I love to weed and all of them will be compost shortly.  Things look quite spectacular, but I will wait to clear the weeds before posting pics.
Over at Casa Colibri, Shannon posted about her return to Oaxaca (we happened to be on the same flight from Houston) and awakening to the sound of the bells.  However, out in el campo, it is a bit different.  Last night the winds howled for a while and clean, fresh air filled the house.  I awoke to these vistas.  You can see how lush everything is.
This is over at the church in Reyes Etla, one of my favorite views.  Today, the scene was tranquil, but in just a couple of weeks, there will be dancing on that cement circle as the guelaguetza commences.  And just where those goats are, the annual feria de queso (cheese fair) will arise and I will be there drinking in the dance, food and ambiance.  One of the best weeks of the year!
Really, I was out to get food, so I hit my market in Etla.  Ain't nuttin' like the real thing. 
 
I so missed this while I was in Boston.  And I sure as hell missed all of this good food while I was north.  I was staggered by the price of food there.  Now look at this display of goodness.
From bottom to top: tortillas, tasajo (beef), onions, six rolls, quesillo (cheese), four tomatoes, two guayabas, two mangos, three avocados, three calabasitos (squash), bananas, a big bag of carrots and potatoes and three cups of pre-cut fruit, mango, papaya and pina.  If you can believe it, all of this cost under $20 US.  I am so spoiled!  And so happy to be back.  Time to eat!

1 comment:

Gypsy Goat Girl said...

Refreshing! Bon Appetite darling! Enjoy!