The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Friday, March 14, 2014

Carnival in San Martin Tilcajete

It's a family affair...
Even though it seems like ages ago, last week was carnival and this year I stayed closed to home to see the fun in San Martin Tilcajete.  Blogger buddy, Shannon, has a nice informative post over at Casa Colibri. The village is one of the most famous woodcarving villages, but for carnival it was all about the look.  This guy has a couple of wooden masks that look to be very traditional.
I was surprised to find that this was, Jose, one of my good friends from Teotitlan del Valle.  He loves to dance and he loves to put on his devil outfit even more. 
I love the look of these two brothers. 
Wonderful expressions.
A classic look.
But that is used motor oil and I bet they still have some on them two weeks later.  That stuff is hard to get off.  I know from personal experience.... that's my regular mosh pit look.  The oil make 'em just slide off.  Scary?
For sure!
This all culminates with Semana Santa, with lots in bewtween.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

These are all such great photos - so much vibrancy - I feel like I I could have been there!

Christopher Stowens said...

Gracias. Jajajaja, I was wearing a white shirt and got too close to these guys. I think the black stains are there for good. At least I will be able to easily remember them.

Anonymous said...

Used engine oil is a hazardous substance containing many impurities (including heavy metals)that can damage your skin. Coming into personal contact with used engine oil can cause dermatitis and other skin disorders, including some forms of cancer.
And that's when it is only on your hands. Absorbing this hazardous waste over your entire skin surface should not be encouraged!!!