The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Taste treat in Tlacolula - Gorditas

I was on an errand last Sunday that took me to Tlacolula, so I took advantage of the fact that it was market day and took a leisurely stroll to check it all out.  Ah, the sounds, smells and sights, Tlacolula is simply one of the best market experiences one can have in Oaxaca.  I saw these folks and was instantly hungry.
After parking, I walked back to the street that gets taken over on Sundays and is filled with everything imaginable and right at the entrance to all the stalls was this impromptu eatery that was packed with people. 
And right in front of me.... temptation.  This woman was taking a handful of masa, and with something to fill it, making a ball. 
She then dropped it into a bubbling pot of oil and fried it up until it was golden brown.  Who could resist? 
There were all sorts of fillings one could get, beef, pork, chicharron and many more.  I asked for carnitas and watched her do her thing.  I asked her what she called it and she replied, "Gorditas."
There were lots of salsas and condiments to add to this piping hot treat.
Gorditas can exist in lots of different forms, but this one was soooo good, I am back for another as soon as possible.
Eat wisely, mis amig@s.

No comments: