The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

In the meantime, in between time

Still hanging in the frozen north, counting the days until my return.  It is interesting to jump between realities.  In terms of time spent, I am in Oaxaca 90 percent of the time and somewhere else for the remainder.  As I have said before, I now feel like an alien in both worlds. In Oaxaca it is too painfully obvious, but here.... I guess it is all in my mind.  Not altogether a bad thing.

It all does make me think.  I have been using a form of the same tool in both places.  In San Sebastian Etla, I use the bareta to dig holes in the cement like earth to plant trees.  Here, I use almost the same tool to chip away slabs of ice.  The whole thing in a nutshell.

The day I left Oaxaca, the 15th, there were political protests.  Now that I am back in the belly of the beast, I see that things are astir in many places, the US, Mid East.  Having fast internet and cable sure makes a difference.  Not so much in terms of quality, but quantity does make a big difference when one has to sift through piles of daily bullshit to glean nuggets of the truth. 

I now realize that even though I was following the events in Egypt and the Middle East on the internet, there is nothing like seeing it as it it happening.  Clearly, Facebook and Twitter are being used to mobilize people, so maybe there is hope after all.  Start the revolution without me.  I have to dust off my black leathers and get the bike out of the shop, but I'll catch up. 

I may be slow and behind the times, but still I am ahead in so many ways considering that only a small percentage of the world is online and obviously that is how the whole thing is going to go down.  The old folks are and will remain clueless.  That's the way it often goes.

Oaxaqueños are and have always been politically active, taking to the streets.  Now, it is Wisconsin and Ohio.  Folks in El Norte are gettin' riled up.  What's next?

The Revolution will not be televised.... it will be twittered..... and I don't twitter. I don't even have a damn cell phone.  As my father-in-law used to say, "I used to be a Greek God, but now I'm just a Greek".... to which we used to add.... "I used to be a geek and now I'm a Geek God."
Hence, photos of anatomically more complete mannequins.
 

3 comments:

Judith Haden said...

Glad you are alive and well in the COLD Northeast. When do you return to Oaxaca? I'm arriving the 13th.....till the 22nd, most of the time will be spent in the Mixteca.

lani.calvert said...

What is your meaning for a bareta?
The Oxford E/S dictionary doesn´t list it at all and the Real Academia Española has it as a term for marijuana. :-)

Christopher Stowens said...

OK, a bareta is a long steel spike, maybe 2 meters, with a point on one end and a blade on the other. My ice chipper does not have the point, but the blade sure does a number on thick ice. Who knows maybe I am spelling it wrong or maybe I am using it incorrectly and should be smokin' the thing. Back to Oaxaca in a few days.