The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Saturday, October 23, 2010

That Lonesome Road

I always have music on here and those of you who know me, know that I have wired speakers in every room.  So with one of the ipods on shuffle I never know what will be coming up out of the 4000 songs on it.

And something happened over the last few weeks.  I started hearing music differently, more clearly.  It is strange that even after so many years of honing my hearing and love of music that it could kick onto a higher plateau.

So when Jame Taylor came on singing "That Lonesome Road" and filled the house on an clear crisp Oaxacan morning, a perfect moment.
 
Yes, James' version is gorgeous, but I have to include this one from The Dixie Chicks, who are heroes of mine and favorites, too.  There is a moment in the middle when Natalie sings solo that is so powerful when you realize what they will go through.


Walk down that lonesome road all by yourself
Don't turn your head back over your shoulder
And only stop to rest yourself when the silver moon
Is shining high above the trees

If I had stopped to listen once or twice
If I had closed my mouth and opened my eyes
If I had cooled my head and warmed my heart
I'd not be on this road tonight

Carry on
-------
Incidentally, I have two new tunes up on Jango, "Dervish" and "Between the Lines."

1 comment:

Peter (the other) said...

Thanks for turning me on to those sweet harmonies (man, those gals can sing). And thinking of Oaxaca what it has also gone through since then. My only visit there was the New Year's week about ten years ago, before the real turn to violence (and what I hear was a major change to the zocalo). The city's beauty and the peoples gentle graciousness made me put it on the list for a return, but the political strife has since pushed it way down in priority. May the people get some better times now, and I'll keep watching for when I should return, via your wonderful blog.