The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

There must be a message in there.

The ground is covered in purple. It looks like a hallucination.

After months of virtually no rain, I repeat, no rain, the jacaranda trees are covering the landscape with huge explosions of purple flowers. The highways are lined with the trees and what looked desolate a few weeks ago, now looks like someone definitely knew what they were doing. This month is clearly the time to see them in all their glory.

There is a carpet of purple underneath the trees and the wind blows the petals everywhere so at times, you feel like you are in some purple cartoon universe.
So that’s the thought for the day. After suffering through so much adversity, they flower with exuberance and in abundance, it is almost over the top.
So what’s the message? There are plenty to choose from.
I choose to look at it as a good-natured challenge.

UPDATE: NOT PURPLE ENOUGH?

Try harder!

1 comment:

Nightreading said...

That is so beautiful, the purple color, like an intricate rug underneath those trees....

I took similar pictures this spring during our cherry blossom season, it was all covered in pink.

Have never ever seen so much purple produced by mother nature.

Makes me fell like singing:
"I never meant 2 cause you any sorrow...I never meant 2 cause you any pain.....I only wanted 2 one time see you laughing.....I only wanted 2 see you laughing in the purple rain..." and then the guitar explosion...."Purple rain, Purple rain...."

Hope I didn't sing it too laud...