The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Monday, March 17, 2008

Tale of Two Cities

I was struck today as I continued my walking exploration of Merida. I am sure the epiphany was the result of a combination of things – heat, humidity, grit, exhaust and of course, euphoria.

It was as I walked into the large market near the hotel, a large 1950’s open structure, not all together attractive.
Actually, like many markets in Mexico, I think this one extended into other structures, maybe over a couple of blocks. I say this because in listening to others describe the market, it sure did not sound like the market I saw, but I digress…

Upon entering, I instantly thought of a similar market I visited in Thailand. And that was it - a tough and gritty city, with tight congested streets, bustling crowds, anything and everything for sale.

horse-drawn carriages,
elegant and ostentatious mansions.
So that's my epiphany - Merida is Bangkok with Mayans... and without all the golden topped temples.
They seem skeptical.

Well, maybe not, but they do have similar flavors.
(I do have lots of photos of Bangkok, but not with me.)
And both places really like their chilies.
At the end of the day in each place, you need a shower or a swim to wash the film off.

Lots of opportunities here. Housing prices are very cheap, but have risen in the last few years.
Having completely restored two houses in the past, I fantasized about some of the countless places that were just there for the taking.
Opportunities abound

Both Bangkok and Merida are big, dynamic tropical cities filled with culture and history.
More on the history shortly.
In both, there are motorcycles galore.
And fantastic nightlife. There were concerts, dance and drama performances every night. And as in all cities, great street performers.
And at night in Merida there seems to be a cop at every intersection keeping the traffic flowing. They really seem to have it together and other congested cities could learn a lot from this place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Any similarities in the food?