The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Thursday, January 5, 2023

Back to the city...

OK, it's been a while since I posted anything, but baby, I'm back... at least I'm gonna try to do better.  We'll see how long that lasts.  Given all that's happening in the world, my words, thoughts and photos don't really matter... except to me.  Anyway, I ventured into the city for the first time this new year and it felt great.  It was just nice to see the place so vibrant.... and different. 
Here's the NW corner of the zocalo where those huge laurel trees dominated the scene for so many years.  Lots of tourists in town and they present some of my trepidations in going into the city.  In case you hadn't noticed, covid is still out there and actually there's a new surge going on.  Of course, this is Oaxaca and there is not much info out there as to how things are going. 
So half the people are masked and the other not.  Anyway, it did my heart good to see some of the iconic Oaxacan figures like the Maestro of the dogs.  He is so good with them, he normally would have five or six with him.  He must be a trainer or something. 
This shot has so much in it, but please note the rider on the dog's back.  I also ran into a woodcarver whose work I have in Boston, two large and unique mirrors.  It turns out he lives right around the corner from me.  His shop is Tribus Mixes.  I will have to dig in the files to see if I have pics of the mirrors.  So that's for another post.  On my way back I saw this...
"Open paths to love"..... I have not called.... yet.  Oh, and I have a nice video upcoming of the danzantes in Teotitlan del Valle.  Happy New Year!  Feliz Año Neuvo!

4 comments:

Jon Shain said...

Your words and thoughts mean something to me, too, abuelito!

LC said...

You thoughts, comments, and photos DO matter to all the people who follow your blog! We miss it when you don't post.

Anonymous said...

Bev and I care that you are back. We look for your comments, insight, thoughts and photo's every day. You bring Oaxaca and the surrounding areas into our living room. Welcome back.
Steve and Bev

Christopher Stowens said...

Gracias, all of youse. It's nice to know you are out there.