The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Thursday, September 1, 2022

Then and Now....

When I moved into this house, the grounds were pretty much bare with construction grade soil.  Well, look what a few years can do... and a little work and a pandemic.  I've propagated lots of the plants from singles and the mango tree was started from seed.  Same for the flor de mayo, now quite large, started from cuttings.
The front and side plots were empty with terrible soil.  This is the front now...
and here's the side kitchen garden. 
I've learned which plants can survive the long hot dry spells and love that they continue to spread and fill all the empty spaces.  Those ornamental grasses all came from a single plant and they continues to spread. 
And some plants have gotten quite large and reached for the sky. 
And, of course, there's a big heart in every garden, right?
Obviously, the rains have finally come and everyone's happy.

4 comments:

Julie Poole said...

WoW Chris! Truly awe-inspiring! I'm so impressed:)

Rosemary Wadas said...

You have a fantastic green thumb as well as patience! Beautiful creation!

Brigid Finucane said...

The transformation is truly wonderful. Always love reading your blog and basking in the beauty of your photography.

Christopher Stowens said...

Every day, I am out in the garden just studying and enjoying what it teaches me. Like my music, it is endless....