The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Thursday, October 1, 2020

Hair! - Where?

 

After close to eight months of isolating, I was psyched to finally get a haircut yesterday.  However, my rare trip into the city left me at a loss.... and I mean a real loss. My usual peluquero, a Oaxacan institution, had been closed for months.  I had checked the last time I was in, but at least there was a phone number to call.  Now, his place is still closed and it has a feeling of finality.  

 

My other barbero, a backup, was Sir Pepe, who I saw all the time and spoke with regularly.  He ribbed me the last time saying, "It's time, don't you think?"  

 

I agreed and said I would be back if the other was still closed.  Well, by the time I returned, a few weeks later.... he was gone, too.  I know it may sound strange, but some of my fondest memories of Oaxaca are getting my haircut by a master and listening to classic vocal trios from the early days.  Often, not a word was spoken.  It was sublime.  

 

And, he made my day when he said he had seen the blog posts about him.  I hope they are both well and enjoying life.  I miss them both.




No comments: