The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Sunday, October 6, 2019

Arbol de Vida - Tree of Life

Be still my heart.... I have a thing for tapetes with Arbols de Vida as the subject.  I also have a thing for the incredible work of Fidel y Maria Luisa Cruz of Teotitlan del Valle.  So when I saw this rug weeks ago, I saved my pesos for those many weeks and today!  Boom... it found its way into my life.... and my house.  The gradation of the reds, using cochineal dyes, is absolutely stunning, a masterpiece.  And each individual bird is unique and vibrant.  One can feel the lives within.  Almost three months of work and the design directly from Fidel's brain to the loom.  They are both masters of dyes and natural colors.  And Maria Luisa's macrame work does Fidel's weaving justice, so fine and delicate.
And she is one of the famous Mendoza sisters, so she is also one of the finest cooks anywhere.  They are true Oaxacan treasures.  ¡ Viva Fidel y Maria Luisa!  Muchimas gracias!

4 comments:

The Observer said...

The pride of the collection ...any collection! I envy you.

Bev in Connecticut said...

Absolutely spectacular
The colors!
The birds-so many varieties in different stages of motion
The tree! it even has one limb cut off
A few butterflies
any yes the macrame--so even!
CONGRATULATIONS

Clever Monkey said...

Exquisite. Felicidades, Chris. A beautiful tree truly full of life - I count approximately 59 or 60 birds, but might have been thrown off by the butterflies.

Diane

Unknown said...

Cuanto dinero le costo? Ests muy bonito