The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?

I have no idea what this gorgeous starburst of a flower is. I don't remember ever seeing bloom, at least not like this.  Anyone know what it is?

6 comments:

Bev in Ct said...

looks like an Allium
I am checking with my friend who is a Master Gardener
I'll let you know what he thinks

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris- Rob Girard...we met briefly in Jan 2017 when in Oaxaca with Steve and Bev. I'm 99% sure this is a scadoxus multiflorus...a bulb from South Africa...beautiful and cool to see outside of a botanical garden collection. Thanks for sharing.

Christopher Stowens said...

Hmmm.... Gracias. Cristina Potters tells me it's a Banksia, a class of Protea.

Anonymous said...

It's not a banksia...they are mostly woody plants more in the shrub range. It is a scadoxus...in the amaryllis family. I have grown this plant extensively in a greenhouse here in Connecticut. My one percent hesitation was it's location. Though, culturally, it would make sense that this plant would naturalize in Mexico. Rob Girard

Christopher Stowens said...

Cool. Scadoxus makes sense. It does grow like an amaryllis. Gardening here in Oaxaca is a challenge with no rain from Dec to May. I can't water everything, so it must be a tough plant, only reappearing when the rains return which they just have.

Anonymous said...

It is a tough plant. There are a large number of plants, indigenous to South Africa and very specific parts of the cape, that, as a matter of changing climate and weather patterns following the last ice age, evolved in a manner so as to develop a bulbous root system. To do what...and be as tough as...you just described. You're lucky it's found a home in Mexico. Rob Girard