The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Sunday, December 23, 2018

Noche de Los Rabanos - Early Edition

For over a century, on December 23rd, Oaxaca has celebrated La Noche de Los Rabanos, the Night of the Radishes.  Each year it's different and this year was no exception.  Unlike previous years, early viewing was available and the place was packed by late morning.  I always go early because the crowds later are well, way too crowded, bigger every year.  I am always amazed and impressed with the entrants' creativity and ingenuity.  And it's fun to take shots of the creations, but I always try to get shots of the creators, the people who make all these works of art. 
Some have participated for decades and there are always new entrants, so there is always a healthy mix of traditional images and the unexpected.
On a grand scale, the eagle with snake on a cactus, the symbol of Mexico....
In addition to radishes, corn husks and dried flowers are also used in different categories in the competition.  A detail....
And its creator.
Always so many interesting shots.
I was not alone...
As I said, the city is very crowded, but the vibe is perfect.
More in a bit...

No comments: