The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Friday, October 28, 2016

Right outside my door...

I live a bit in the boonies with not too much around me although I am only a few kilometers from the main drag into the city.  However, you can see from previous posts just how lush and open the countryside is around me. 
So I was pleasantly surprised when I heard a band playing highly energetic music almost right outside my door.  Of course, I was out in seconds to see what was happening and found a parade of little kids and their parents going from house to house led by the band and a police car. 
It turned out that they were from a little school just over the hill in a quite isolated area.  
There was something so happy and real about this little parade.  I mean, c'mon.
Maybe it was that all the kids and their parents were all so young, but I think it was the complete lack of pretense, just the joy of being there and pretty much doing it totally right.
Traditional outfits
And totally hip.
What a treat.
The parents were right there as well.
It is going to be a fun week.

No comments: