The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Friday, December 19, 2014

Carma

Yes, I know it's karma, but this is about the car.  Sometimes, I really love this place.  After driving into the city to see La Soledad celebrations, at around 1:30 PM, I drove out to the market in Etla to pick up fresh cheese and produce.  However, when I got out of the car there was that distinctive aroma of antifreeze and steam coming from under the hood.  Something had given up the ghost, but fortunately a mechanic I had used before was nearby.  I drove in, he diagnosed the problem, said the car needed to cool down before he could work on it, but, "No problema," it would be done at five. 

I was out of there in less than five minutes.  I jumped into an Etla collectivo, took it to Viguera, then jumped out and walked back to the house.  At 4:55, the mechanic, Ivan, called to say the car was ready. I walked back to the highway, got in a collectivo and eventually ended up back at the shop where the car was sitting, ready to go.  Ivan had replaced the toma de agua, a part I have not a clue about, and a hose, all done for about $60 US. 

The weird thing is that the car has been running hot for years ever since I took it to the dealer in the city for a complete tuneup and checkup.  Numerous people have tried to solve the problem to no avail, so I had just learned to watch the temperature gauge like a hawk and live it the problem.  Now, however, it appears that that problem is gone and the temp needle sits dead center just like it did before I took it to the dealer.  I am happy and apparently, so it the car.

I think Mexicans are born knowing how to fix cars (and everything else except the country) and I love watching and learning from them.  Who woulda thought that getting one's car repaired could be such a pleasant experience, but it always is here... uh... knock on wood.

No comments: