The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

This is sick...

OK, I am back in Oaxaca and very happy for it.  El Norte is a very nice place to visit, but....

Here, it looks like it has been raining everyday since I left.  Some things have grown huge and others could not handle all the moisture and rotted.  Such is the nature of gardening, life, for that matter.

I don't know if it was the amazing heat in Boston and the AC, but I spent the last few days in a feverish daze... probably didn't help falling off a ladder while sawing off tree limbs... but man, I was ill and not in a good way.

After somehow managing to get everything done and packed, I took my heavy bag to the airport, discovered that they now charge you $200 for an overwieght bag on international flights.  Unloaded those four extra pounds into a extra knapsack I always have with me and then breezed through security, yeah, right, and discovered that the flight was delayed.  Two hours later, we were off and into Houston with all of thirty minutes to make my Oaxacan connection.  Ran through the airport.  It was 105 outside.  Made it to the gate... flight delayed, but less than an hour.  Made it into Oaxaca, through customs with all my cheeses, peanut butter, soy sauce, Miracle-Gro, etc., jumped in my car, which actually started after weeks in the pouring rain and was back at the house by 11PM.  Que milagro!

The thing is that I was so sick and feverish, semiconscious at times, that the whole trip seems like a dream, a long, not altogether good or bad, simply weird dream.  How did I end up here?  What happened?  Had I discovered the key to air travel?  Be semi-comatose and slightly delusional?

Note to self: Remain delusional, but without the fever.

Into bed, into a deep sleep.  I awoke drenched with sweat.  The fever had broken pretty much.  Henry Wangeman of Amate Books picked me up for breakfast in Etla, salsa roja con carne, arroz, frijoles, a big glass of fresh orange juice, a quick stop at the market to see mis abuelas.  Loaded with tamales, chili rellenos, tortillas, fruits and veggies, I returned to the house and promptly passed out and slept.

Eight hours later.... ahhh.  It is good to be back.

No comments: