The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Back to Teotitlan del Valle


The day here is rather cold and blustery with gray skies and an occasional patch of blue.  I am off to Teotitlan del Valle to watch the danza de las plumas once again.  I think I have seen this group of danzantes four or five times now and it is always magical.  This is the last time they will dance this year, but I believe they have two more years together as a group.  Each cycle is three years in length and then a new group will take over the honors.

Before the danza in the four or five day celebration is the confite, or procession of unmarried women from the village.  This time it was cool and rainy, but who cares, it was still magnificent.

Look at this gorgeous floral canasta that led the procession.

Now imagine carrying it on your head for a couple of miles on cobblestone streets.

This gentleman led the procession carrying a marmota.  Actually, the kids lead the way with little marmotas of their own.

Obviously, it is a photographer's dream as each of the participants is dressed in resplendent traditional garb. 

Lots of heart-stealers.

Of all ages.
You may remember this little guy from earlier posts.  Still as cute as ever.
 
It gets dark by the end, but still managed to snap this portrait with the mountains in the background.

7 comments:

La Cubanófila said...

These are BEAUTIFUL! I learned two new things: that all of the girls/women in the confite are unmarried, and that the big cloth ball is called a "marmota" (which means hamster in Spanish). Who knew?

Beverly Schmidt said...

You live a wonderful life full of life's pleasures. I dream of someday retiring and living part time in Oaxaca and part time in Merida. There is ALWAYS some sort of wonderful celebration going on. We will be in Oaxaca for DOD-can't wait!!!
Bev Schmidt
Connecticut

Christopher Stowens said...

Gracias. Yes, it is a wonderful life here. I am often struck by how this all seems "normal" now. When I travel to the States, it seems surreal. And yes, you are tight, there is something happening every single day.

Luvia said...

It's so funny to see my face in a photo. I remeber that you told me that I'll be famous with this photo..and now i'm famous haha ok. I'm going to steal my photo and my big big smile, you should be my photographer teacher i'm looking for someone.

Thank you .

Christopher Stowens said...

Luvia, glad you like the shot. Of course, I know you were famous before, but I am happy to add to it ;-)
And happy to share whatever I know about photography, but of course, you know Mario, Quesadillo, is right there, too.

Luvia said...

let me know where can i found you :)

Christopher Stowens said...

cstowens@gmail.com