The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Feria de Queso - Cheese Fair - Reyes


Sometimes you have to go the extra mile or kilometer.  There is a feria de queso y quesillo in nearby Reyes Etla.  I have driven down the road that leads to it many times, but never that extra mile.  After reading about this feria, I was determined to find it.  After all, Etla is the home of the best cheese in Oaxaca and Reyes is the official "World Capital of Queso and Quesillo" and it has the plaque
and a statue to prove it. Yes, she is holding a nice big ball of quesillo.

I turned left at the banner and drove across fields.  I could see the church and the feria in the distance.

As I approached, I was struck by the beauty of the location, really out in the middle of nowhere. 

The crowd was very small, but I was early in the event.  There were about ten stalls set up, each with samples of their cheeses. 
These women from "Cremeria Mary" had the best queso fresco, so rich and tasty, but in truth I did not taste everyone's.
Because of the write-up, it looked like it was going to be a hit.  Kids from the city were there and I am sure shots ended up on Facebook.

As I was leaving I walked back to the church and looked out across an unexpected panoramic view of the mountains and incredibly lush and verdant valleys. 

Wow, what a view.
I am headed back today or tomorrow, now that I know what lies out there after going the extra kilometer.

2 comments:

Melinda aka Passionfruit said...

and did you know that this is the "Nacho Libre" church? i.e.-where the movie was filmed.

Christopher Stowens said...

With Jack Black? I did not know that! Wow, that's slightly crazy. Gracias