The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Ladies Who (make me) Lunch


Some days I can't believe my life.  It is all too fine.  Today was one of those days.  The market in nearby Etla had a magical quality.  The fruits and vegetables looked radiant.

Tomatillos, anyone?

Everyone seemed as if they were in a pretty good moods..... or maybe it was just me.

I shop at this market several times a week, but Wednesday is the official market and the place is always hoppin'.   You can most anything you need and the prices are very reasonable. 

By this time, there are people who recognize me just 'cause I stick out like a sore thumb.  Not too many gringos around here.  I just love going there.  It is often other-worldly for me and at the same time, it is also normal.  I mean, this is my market.

And these are the ladies I buy from all the time.  I am very loyal to them and they treat me right, always joking with me and the other ladies around them, lots of cracks about "mis novias," my girlfriends.  Each one of them knows what I like and what I buy each week.  And their food is always the best.
My friend with her delicious tortillas.
 
A saint watches over La Doña del fruitas y verdugas.  I see her maybe three or four times a week.

Doña Melisa with her tasty tamales.  She and I go back a few years and she will simply not smile for a photo, but really she is a sweetie.  "Chris, take the picture, already."

She and her family make hundreds each week and each and every one is to die for.
This is my latest "novia."  Her chile rellenos (pollo en pasilla) are so good, it makes my mouth water just to think of them.  As soon as she sees me, she bags a couple up.
 
 I need to get a shot of Doña Vicki, who makes some of the best cheese in the village, a village which is famous for its cheese.  Next time....
You can see why shopping here is so much fun.  I always feel good while I'm there and on my way home.  The feeling lasts for days as the food slowly gets eaten.  Then it time to do all over again.  Only eight minutes from my house.  Envious?

3 comments:

Melinda aka Passionfruit said...

Hi Chris,
I read your blog on a regular basis and just had to comment on today's post. The Etla market is my favorite also, from Gloria, my fruit and veg lady to Veronica, my cheese lady-this place has got it going on! It feels as though I were "home" in Oaxaca when I looked at your post! With any luck, we will be living quite near you in the future, but for now, keep those great posts and photos coming! Gracias.

Christopher Stowens said...

Gracias for the comment. Yes, Etla is the best... but I am sure there are similar markets throughout Mexico. It is just that Etla is so close for me and yet I know people come from all over to visit the place. They are waiting for you and your return.

La Cubanófila said...

Yes--in answer to the envy question--you DO have some idea.