The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Teotitlan del Valle - Fiesta

I have been spending the week driving back and forth to the zapotec weaving village, Teotitlan del Valle, as they celebrate one of their annual fiestas. Each day has been dramatic in terms of weather with huge dark and ominous clouds building over the mountains. And yes, boy did it rain.

This year is extra special with a particularly large group of dancers for the Danza de las Plumas, the Dance of the Conquistadors. The extras this time are Cortez and his army. It is a photographer's dream. I don't know how many times I have shot it, but each time, it is better mainly because Teotitlan is one of the most magical and deep places I have been.
Here the schedule for the week. Click on it and you should be able to read it right down to the dancer's names.One of the best parts of the week is the special tamales served on Wednesday. I was once again blessed to eat Emilia Ruiz's incredible tamales amarillo. She made 300 of them and we put a good dent in them.Three more days to go, but I will post photos soon. I hope to have Emilia's mole negro on Sunday. Simply the best.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am loving your blog. I thought I was clued in on all-things-Oaxaca but somehow missed out on this Teotitlan fiesta. Now it's on my list to go to someday. What is the name of the fiesta? I am very happy to know that something else happens in July besides Guelaguetza.

Joan