The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Altos y bajos

That's me with basura pointed at my head. Basura means trash. I love that I am looking into the wrong end of the camera and it is pointed straight down. Actually, I am using a small still camera, my back up.

It is funny how certain days can be filled with the highest highs and the lowest lows. Yesterday was such a day. I will keep the lows to myself, like anyone needs to hear about them, but one of the insignificant ones was that I dropped my Nikon and messed up the only lens I have with me.

However, the highs were pretty high. The plan was to drive out to the cemetery in San Antonino for a concurso or competition, I think for grave decoration, but I don't really know. At any rate, it was the day before and we had the place almost completely to ourselves which was even better. It has to be one of the most beautiful panteones in all of Oaxaca. I visited it three times this week, each time it grew more beautiful. More on San Antonino later.

On the drive out we stopped at Jacobo Angeles restaurant where there was a feria of the woodcarving from nearby San Martin Tilcajete. Jacobo and his wife, Maria are real movers and shakers and are doing everything in their power to promote the artesanos.

I went with Henry Wangeman of Amate Books and as we went in, all the artesanos stopped what they were doing and gathered around us in a wonderful welcome. Henry has many years of promoting, selling, exporting and exhibiting folk art. He is a hero in many of the villages.

And little ole humble me? Moi? Not much other than collecting and commissioning pieces over the years and doing my best to encourage and promote this amazing art. I also wrote those directories and apparently after my talk last week, inspired a few people to visit the villages and buy pieces.So they were happy to see us. I love how Martin Melchor is holding the directorio open to his page.
These shots are all Henry Wangeman's. Gracias, hermano.

No comments: