The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Cuarenta años


I believe there was a song that went, "It was twenty years ago today"... well, it was really forty and on that day I was sitting very close to the stage at Woodstock, maybe row 50, dead center. At the time, I lived in Upstate New York, not very far from the site, so we just jumped in the car and got there very early, early enough to watch setup and prep. I was a freshman in college and was there with my high school sweetheart. It was the time of concerts at large venues and I had been to a bunch. Plus, the Fillmore was close and many of the biggest names in the business were playing small intimate clubs and colleges. However, none of them prepared us for Woodstock.

I was interviewed for the 25th anniversary by Relix, the Dead's magazine. I can't remember what I say, but I bet I mentioned the first sound check and Richie Havens. The sound was so loud and clean, it was magical. This was long before the good equipment of today. We were used to hearing (or not hearing which was often the case) stuff through really crappy amps and PA's. So when Ritchie played his guitar and the sound was so clean, pure and powerful, we knew we were in for a good time. And sure, people were high on many things besides the music, but damn, it was a fine buzz - The Who, Hendrix, John Sabastian, CSN&Y, Sly, Santana... damn, I was there. Great memories.

No comments: