The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Esperando

It has been really hot in Oaxaca and everyone is waiting for rain.
My good friend Henry Wangeman of Amate Books writes this:

"There was a wall of clouds yesterday that blew a tremendous wind through the Jacaranda trees. They sounded like an ocean storm swirling and thrashing with a most beautiful applause. I love that sound: the trees applauding for rain. If you clap the rain will come. Just imagine the friction millions of leaves rubbing together create. Perhaps they charge the lightning bolts so the thunder can release the rain. Gusts of wind made the roof tiles creak and the walls stretch. The clouds were ominous with their massive grey monotone color like a blanket posed to cover us in darkness. I thought hale, perhaps half a foot. And roofs being blown off and flying through the air like Frisbees. It made me feel alive with excitement, expectation, and respect. I didn't get what I expected. We received enough rain to wet the ground and only a few dead branches littered the ground. But it is a beginning. Things are dry. We are all hopeful that we will soon get a few advanced storms announcing the rain is on the way."

5 comments:

La Cubanófila said...

August rain in Oaxaca. I plan on bathing in it.

Christopher Stowens said...

Really? Me too. We can hang.

La Cubanófila said...

chévere

Anonymous said...

Rosa wants to know if you will pay for a "pipa de agua" so that the 50 flower pots you left will keep blooming?
By the way the gardenias smell great!

Christopher Stowens said...

Claro, si!!! I miss those gardenias