The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Monday, May 19, 2008

Complexities

We have had the most wonderful rain. I remember Henry describing it. The first few rains, the land does not entirely believe it. Should it give in and rejoice? Actually turn green? Well, after the last two rains, one very heavy and last night's long and gentle, the campo is giving in and accepting that water will indeed fall from the sky. Things are waking up and enjoying the dust being washed off. The change is wonderful. Much like the first day of spring in New England. The land is waking up and it is contagious.

So bursting with energy, I set off to the 11 AM "Ironman" showing. The theaters here are so fine, I thought it would be an excellent way to spend a drizzling morning. I had already seen the movie once and obviously, I thought it was good enough to see again.

I know my way around the city with all the detours and the daily traffic flow but I was stymied by a political march that shut down certain streets.
The teachers or maestros are exercising their power and general disapproval with the governor.

I wonder if my former colleagues at prep school realize just how much power they could exercise if they actually woke up. Sorry, go back to sleep. I am making it up.

I don't know how many marchers there were. The marches here range from a few thousand to hundreds of thousands.

And the problems are complex.
The Poor exist here and deserve better. The corruption, repression, oppression, the class system, the narcos, all of them make quite a stew.

I know it is hard on businesses and nobody can handle any more economic hardships. If I look at it personally, I did not spend the money I planned. No movie, no popcorn. No dinero.

And the traffic was a bitch.

I am sympathetic to the problems here - with both businesses and more importantly, with all my friends and mentors in the villages, where I have been working, The solutions are tough, but obvious... and ain't gonna happen. The government, the teachers and business community, APPO, all of them must start acting ethically and working for the general good. As I say, it ain't gonna happening.
But at least they are marching and protesting. What say you America? What will it take for you to do the same? Torture? War? Corruption? Gas prices? Food prices? Miley Cyrus?
Well, after not being able to do what I intended. I listened to the speeches and watched the action. Then I figured I should get while the getting was good in terms of traffic. Which turned out to be smart. This was the only traffic obstruction I met and I was almost home by then.

No comments: