The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Live or Blog?

That is the question. Blogging is hard work and as the blogosphere expands, its demands for time expand as well. Words are tough enough, but those photos and videos.... oh my!

For the last two weeks I have chosen to live and experience the things I will try to write about in the coming weeks. No doubt, things will be left out, either forgotten or left on the editing floor, due to time constraints. However, La Noche de Rabanos and Noche Buena were wonderful, albeit a bit subdued this year. And there was the baptism and fiesta in San Felipe Tejalapam. I will try to get caught up in the next few days.

I read a lot of blogs daily, in addition to several newspapers, and now that I am trying to blog, my admiration and respect for what the bloggers do increases. It is hard to stay current and it is even harder to post things everyday. The blogs I read seem like they are on top of things 24/7 and posting every few hours or minutes.

I guess I would put in a plug for the importance of the expanding blogosphere and its quick supplanting of the MSM or The Village. The media's ignorance and gross manipulation of the facts is really quite remarkable. I just wonder if it is as obvious to those inside the borders as it is to the rest of the planet.

As someone living outside the country, I need to get information and here in Mexico, all I have for US stuff is Fox News and CNN International.
You have no idea what the world sees and thinks of the US and if you do... well, it is pretty scary picture. So blind, arrogant and biased. Or maybe that is just me.....

From the outside, the place looks pretty bad with the economic problems, the war, the scandals, the obsession with celebs, the loss of moral standing in the world. I cannot believe that people are actually still arguing about whether or not it is ethical to torture? Or that the earth is only 6,000 years old? Wankstock? The Spears Sisters? The horserace?
I feel like saying, "It does not look like the country I knew as a boy," but instead I will recommend that you get "Back in the Day" on iTunes and you can learn how I feel about such thoughts and phrases. Boils down to the fact that every generation says something similar... but really folks, what the heck is goin' on?

Yes, the USA looks crazy from afar, but so does this place. The economic situation here is going to get worse before it gets better, but more on that as the data comes in.

Speaking of craziness, we just went through a three-day quinceñera next door. There were music and fireworks all day and all night. Incidentally, the bands here are fantastic and these guys had a sound system that was powerful and clean. You could feel the bass in your gut and they were set up several hundred meters away.

More on music later, but for now.... its back to living. I'll blog on later ... mañana o mañana.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris, the blog looks great you are capturing many events and political situations in Mexico. Your music is beautiful and out there, but flows with ease. Thank you for keeping us posted on what is happening in Oaxaca.

Anonymous said...

Ps Your photography is superb also.