The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Pan - Bread

Panbread?  Bread pan??  No, sadly, I am here to pan the pan, the bread, we have in Oaxaca.  I have posted lots of stories about our search for the best torta, sandwich, but I can say that one of the comments we always make is, "Great torta, but the roll could be better."
It is a sad truth that really good bread or rolls in Oaxaca are a rarity.  Yes, Pan y Co. has decent breads and goodies, albeit, quite costly, but I can get so much better bread here in Boston at the local supermarket.  Iggy's breads are well known and after starting in a small bakery in Watertown, now you can buy them in lots of places.  The tastes and textures are all the way bread is supposed to be.

And it makes me wonder why can't they make bread like this in Oaxaca? Is it the flour?  Or people's preferences?  I mean, bread is pretty basic and one would think that someone would have figured out to make good French baguettes or sourdough bread by now and be making a fortune, but no....

Still, you can find bagels at La Gourmand Deli, but they ain't like the real thing.
And this is not even a real NYC bagel, like the ones you get in the bowels of Grand Central, but still, a pretty good bagel with almost the right texture and taste.
And no, that is not a pure white tablecloth.
I do realize that many foods are local and you just can't get them elsewhere.  Let's face it, people in the city do not get tortillas like the ones I get in Etla.  They must suffer with machine made while I have these beauties, hand made, toasted on a comal, warm, with just the right amount of chewiness.
I could make a fortune selling them here in Boston, but there is that snow and cold to consider...  no, I think I will just take a few bagels back with me.

2 comments:

oaxacakate said...

Modern vs Ancient wheat ...

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/09/20/on-the-evils-of-wheat-why-it-is-so-addictive-and-how-shunning-it-will-make-you-skinny/

Anonymous said...

The bakers here have seldom, if ever, tasted the real thing. Neither have their customers. All we need is someone returning from a bakery job up north to make the introduction.