The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Twitter threats for Francisco Toledo

Photo and full story (in Spanish) from noticiasmex.

This isn't too crazy, but it is an indication as to the status and role of artists in this country.  Francisco Toledo has received a number of death threats on Twitter for his opposition and involvement in the Cinco Señores road project.  Death threats?  They also accuse the governor, Cué, of being Toledo's puppet. 

As I wrote before, I survived the Big Dig in Boston for its 25 year process, so I realize that these huge projects cause problems and create conflicts.  However, if the end result is a equally huge improvement, then everyone's gripes fade.  It is called progress.  Yes, it is possible.

From Frida to Diego to Francisco, artists here are often powerful voices for the people and are respected for their positions in society.  I really like that about this place.

I guess in the states, that voice is left to pro athletes or celebs.  Imagine if Larry Bird or Seiji Ozawa or Aerosmith had a position on the The Big Dig.  Well, they probably did, but nobody knew or cared and certainly there were no death threats.

And duh, aren't twitter accounts easily traced?  It seems pretty dumb to send out a threat this way.  They need to watch "The Godfather" or something.

2 comments:

friseal said...

If he was in the U.S. They would just tell him to "get a real job" then throw him under steam roller, aka sue the pant off him....

However, I'm all for progress in Oaxaca, but I have to admit the artist in me loves how he has the "huevos" to shut down the biggest public works project, lol.

Christopher Stowens said...

Toledo and several others artists are some of the most powerful movers and shakers here. IMO, artists should be running the world. They sure could do a lot better than what we've got.