The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Etla - Quinto Viernes de Cuaresma

The fifth Friday of Lent is a big deal in nearby Etla.  People come from all over Oaxaca to fill the often tranquil and empty church.  As the title of the story from El Imparcial translates "United in Faith."

I am not Catholic and I do not know much about the significance of each Friday in Lent, but as I understand it, this is the day to commit to helping those around you in need and in crisis.

Etla is such a special place any time with its wonderful market and my favorite restaurant, Comedor Colon.  The abuelas from whom I buy my food each week are some of my special friends who take such good care of me.  But this was a very different Etla today because it was packed with folks from all over.  I saw outfits and heard languages that I never see or hear there.  It was fantastic.
People lined up to get into the church and to present flowers to El Señor de las Peñas, Christ who suffered.  I watched as people kissed the small statue and touched it with their flowers of herbs and then rubbed them over their bodies to clean and heal them.
A lady selling rosemary, romero, and herbs in the plaza in front of the church.
They also lined up to get some Holy Water either to take with them or to wash their hands and faces, the backs of their necks.  Huh, you will notice the ax in San Pedro's head.
Outside the church the market was really poppin', looking festive.
Look at this wonderful looking special bread fresh out of the oven.
There was also a rare midday castillo..... more on that in a bit.
In the meantime, be kind to each other and help a brother/sister out.

No comments: