The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Sunday, August 31, 2014

It ain't all sunshine and light

I've avoided writing about the continuing political and social problems here mainly because, it is getting so old. It is debilitating. And the wheels continue to come off at an alarming rate. 

The Seccion XXII planton continues in the zocalo into its fifth or sixth week.  Remember all this action started before the guelaguetza.  As I say, it is getting real old.  They have been more aggressive, trashing building and causing havoc.  And the police and the governor... their hands must be tied, because they look ineffectual.  Cue is taking a beating in the papers and op/ed pages.

And this yesterday, from Noticias (click for pics)
Teachers of section 22 of the National Union of education workers (SNTE), belonging to the regions of Central Valley and isthmus of Tehuantepec, stormed the home of the Secretary for Legal Affairs of section 59 of the SNTE, Pedro Caballero Bolaños, in the San Martín Mexicapan municipal agency, yesterday morning and stole hundreds of boxes of free text books as well as useful and school uniforms there stored packages.
And toilet paper, too.
Yes, one teachers union is stealing books and supplies from another teachers union, stealing books from kids to give to other kids. Unbelievable!

Every day, it is something different.  The new mall, the Megaplaza, just opened and was greeted with teachers and taxi drivers protests that went on for a few days.  There is more, but I won't burden you.

It gets tiring and puts a crimp on life.  I find myself avoiding all the turmoil and sticking to the Etlas to get things done.  Given that I can find everything I need outside the city, it's fine, but I know I represent a demographic and I am sure businesses are missing me in the city.  The economy must be taking a hit each week this continues, but what do I know.  Maybe the money is flowing just fine.

2 comments:

Bev in Connecticut said...

Steve and I are starting to get a bit nervous about our upcoming trip to Oaxaca for DOD. We are introducing a couple of good friends to the city we love so much. we were hoping that when school started the "teachers" would go back to work. We don't understand the non-action by the government and police. What do those guys riding around in the back of open pickup trucks armed with big guns and in uniform do??? Just a "show" This is all so sad. Such a beautiful city with great people and fun things to do and great food to eat. Everyone suffers!! SAD!!

Christopher Stowens said...

Hola Bev,

I wouldn't worry about it. Oaxaca still is magical with so many good things to do and places to visit. This is all just a part of Oaxaca and it need not effect you while you are here.