The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Your table is waiting...

One of the absolute best things about living in Oaxaca, a place so famous for it art, crafts and folk art, is that one can go out and find cool things that are functional, beautiful and.... made by hand.  I know, crazy, made by hand, but there you have it.  I had mentioned earlier that I had seen a little table at the market in Etla last week.  I had been looking for tables for a few weeks in my normal neurotic way, looking in a lot of places.  If I saw someone selling furniture by the side of the road, I would stop, same for little shops.  I saw a lot, but nothing seemed right.  Plus, gotta check out all the prices.  The deals are always out there.  I even scoured all the sellers in the Abastos market and if you know the place, you know there are lots of them, all in search of some imagined perfect coffee table.  Well, guess what, they don't really do coffee tables here, but this little jewel from Etla will work just fine.
Nice design, very solid, hand made, nice finish, all for $300 MP ($22 US).  Whaddya think?
As I walked by to the car after buying it, I ran into a group taking Susana Trilling's cooking class, going the market is always a part of the class, and they all said, "What a great table."  Obviously, they have good taste.  They are taking a class with one of Oaxaca's most famous cooks and authors.

1 comment:

oaxacakate said...

Sweet table - good choice!