The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Monday, August 13, 2012

Olympics update... Road to Rio

I am sad that the Games are over.  Great job, London.  It was wonderful to watch.  I understand that NBC did its normal terrible job of broadcasting the closing ceremony and that not only did they cut lots of stuff, they managed to cut in and show and hour of some upcoming sitcom.  Ah, the art of corporate public relations.  They sure know how to piss people off.  I guess that is what you get when there is only one channel showing something.  American exceptionalism?

I can't remember where I was for the last Olympics, but I can say that watching here in Mexico was a fantastic experience.  Sure, they focused on mexicano athletes, but not in an obnoxious way.  And as I wrote earlier, there were several channels showing things and lots of live action and remember, I only have an antenna.  I kept switching channels so as to follow several events simultaneously.  It was a blast.... well, a pretty entertaining couple of weeks.  And Mexico winning the gold in futbol?  It doesn't get any better than that.  Futbol is a religion here and in most of the world, just not in El Norte.

Above all, there was a minimum of fluff and extraneous stuff.  They basically just showed the games.  A perfect example was how they broadcast the closing ceremony, live with no commercials and very little commentary.  It was fantastic.  And very moving at times.  I mean, Eric Idle singing, "Always Look at the Bright Side of Life" somehow became transcendent and meaningful... and everything was so fricking British.  They obviously take great pride in their humor, music and eccentricities.  I bet you did not see or hear the incredible extended ovation for the 60,000 volunteers.  I telling you, it was an amazing three hours.

It was a wonderful celebration of the athletes, the games, Great Britain, a real feel good experience for the world.  And all the music!  I ain't got no hang ups.  I liked it all.  One forgets that Brits loves them some singalongs.  And I loved hearing the Ugandan and Brazilian national anthems in global prime time.

So all I can say is when NBC broadcasts the Rio Olympics, escape and go to a different country to watch them.  Without reservation, I would recommend Mexico.

No comments: