The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Is this the answer?


I wonder how Arizonans feel about this.  I'm sure some will say that this was the desired effect.  On the other hand, it represents a significant loss in the work force.  Some will say it saves money.  Other will say the opposite.  You know what I say?  We need a better immigration policy. 
Imagine if this law were reversed and enacted here in Oaxaca.... I would be toast, over six feet and painfully gringo.  It ain't like I could blend in.

From the Latin American Herald Tribune
Arizona’s Hispanic population has fallen by at least 100,000 since the SB 1070 anti-illegal immigration measure was passed in 2010, even though a federal judge blocked the law’s most controversial provisions, BBVA Bancomer said in a report.

“A smaller number of Hispanics in the state of Arizona can be observed,” according to the report by Mexico’s largest financial institution, whose economic studies service frequently publishes analysis on immigration issues..... (read the full story)
People here are very aware of this law.  Maybe people in Arizona are fine with how they are thought of by many oaxaqueños.  It would weigh heavy on me.

Also, too, I offer whatever talents I have to Oaxaca.  I try to contribute, you know, work.  It is just normal life.  We do what we can to make where we live a better place. Mexicans in the US do exactly the same thing.  They work hard and contribute much.  Arizona, both countries continue to suffer because of this law.  Compassion would work better, but obviously, that ain't on the agenda.

No comments: